Thursday, February 8, 2007

Santa Monica | More of Joe's to Love

I just luuuuuuv Joe's Restaurant on Abbot Kinney in Venice. And like the right answer to give when your girlfriend tells you she's gained weight, there's more to love now that Joe Miller will be opening a new tapas place in Santa Monica by the beach.

Being a regular at Joe's (naturally), I actually overheard all this a few weeks back but had no idea of the "hotness" of the intel til I saw it on Eater LA. What I dimly recall through the champagne haze of that night:

  • Can't confirm the name "Bar Pinxto," but it is definitely going to be tapas!

  • There are partners/investors, but no word yet on -- or I forgot -- who

  • Distinct impression that an Ocean Avenue address is in the works.

  • Joe is very excited about the opportunity to put together a tapas menu. Same farmers-market-fresh style (possibly Mediterranean-influenced).

  • Expect more of an upscale after-work scene vs. touristy Third Street Promenade. The new venture is geared towards a youngish, fun crowd looking to take the edge off a day's work with great wine and even better food. Think beat the competition: Wilshire, Boa, Sushi Roku, Ma'Kai. Actually, how perfect would it be if Ma'Kai was sold and turned into Joe's new place??? I'm just sayin'...

  • I know it's naughty, but I can't help but think of a Primitivo inspiration/influence? After all, the wine bistro/tapas bar is just next door to Joe's on Abbot Kinney. If so, rock on! Ocean Ave could so use a hipster infusion.

  • Vague recollection that the opening will be summer/late-summer.

I have a confession. Normally I'm not really into tapas. Sure, they're appealing: tapas have an American dream allure, a you-can-have-it-all, try-it-before-you-buy-it, sampler-size concept perfect for commitmentphobes (ahi or kobe? kobe or ahi?)

But let's be honest here. I don't like to pay $15 for 3 small bites of anything, unless it's foie gras, in which case I'll pay through the nose. Gladly. Three times a week. For a certain cook in the kitchen though (hint, hint) I'm game. Bring it!

So rest assured, there will be MANY more tasty Eat-at-Joe's nights where I can do some recon -- for the next update, I'll try to cut back a little on the champagne (but no promises!!!)

^This Just In: Joe Miller Opening New Tapas Bar / Eater LA

No comments: