Being a regular at Joe's (naturally), I actually overheard all this a few weeks back but had no idea of the "hotness" of the intel til I saw it on Eater LA. What I dimly recall through the champagne haze of that night:
- Can't confirm the name "Bar Pinxto," but it is definitely going to be tapas!
- There are partners/investors, but no word yet on -- or I forgot -- who
- Distinct impression that an Ocean Avenue address is in the works.
- Joe is very excited about the opportunity to put together a tapas menu. Same farmers-market-fresh style (possibly Mediterranean-influenced).
- Expect more of an upscale after-work scene vs. touristy Third Street Promenade. The new venture is geared towards a youngish, fun crowd looking to take the edge off a day's work with great wine and even better food. Think beat the competition: Wilshire, Boa, Sushi Roku, Ma'Kai. Actually, how perfect would it be if Ma'Kai was sold and turned into Joe's new place??? I'm just sayin'...
- I know it's naughty, but I can't help but think of a Primitivo inspiration/influence? After all, the wine bistro/tapas bar is just next door to Joe's on Abbot Kinney. If so, rock on! Ocean Ave could so use a hipster infusion.
- Vague recollection that the opening will be summer/late-summer.
I have a confession. Normally I'm not really into tapas. Sure, they're appealing: tapas have an American dream allure, a you-can-have-it-all, try-it-before-you-buy-it, sampler-size concept perfect for commitmentphobes (ahi or kobe? kobe or ahi?)
But let's be honest here. I don't like to pay $15 for 3 small bites of anything, unless it's foie gras, in which case I'll pay through the nose. Gladly. Three times a week. For a certain cook in the kitchen though (hint, hint) I'm game. Bring it!
So rest assured, there will be MANY more tasty Eat-at-Joe's nights where I can do some recon -- for the next update, I'll try to cut back a little on the champagne (but no promises!!!)
^This Just In: Joe Miller Opening New Tapas Bar / Eater LA